VP of Software
To build, architect, and operate data-centric software applications. To create productive software environments that challenge, teach, grow, and support professional craftspersons.
Carbon Lighthouse - San Francisco, CA
2016-Present – VP of Software < SWE Manager < Lead SWE < Sr. SWE
Mission driven company to stop climate change through energy efficiency in commercial real estate.
Lead a devops team building energy modeling applications on AWS, Kubernetes, and Python.
- Designed and built data ingest system enabling work in hundreds of commercial real estate assets.
- Improved error rates and performance metrics by migrating from HBASE to AWS DynamoDb.
- Automated onboarding, offboarding, account managment, and developer environment provisioning with AWS CDK/CloudFormation, scripts, and ansible.
- Developed tooling and infrastructure to publish documentation from dozens of code repositories to an internally facing static website, resulting in turning local team knowledge into company wide lessons.
- Shortened delivery/feedback cycles by transitioning team to cross-functional agile teams.
- Guided direct reports through COVID-19 remote transitions and two rounds of layoffs.
- Revamped software engineer hiring process adapting it to remote positions and outstaffing.
R/GA - Portland OR
2015-2016 – Sr. SWE
Premiere design, branding, and advertising agency.
Was embedded at Nike Headquarters on the Nike By You (aka Nike iD) product customization team.
- Delivered new mobile/web frontend for one of Nike’s most profitable online experiences.
- Unlocked new sales drivers by working hand-in-hand with Nike.com teams to provide API integrations between our embedded app and product pages.
- Bootstrapped team successfully to learn React/Redux and adopt test first culture.
Cascade Energy - Portland, OR
2012-2016 – Sr. SWE < SWE
Industrial Energy Efficiency Consultancy.
Full-stack development of industrial energy management tool SENSEI.
- Built scalable file ingest system on AWS EC2, S3, SQS, and DynamoDb.
- Developed calculation UI and API enabling expert mechanical engineers to create models on time-series measurements.
ID Branding/Liquid Agency - Portland, OR
2010-2012 – Jr. SWE
Brand advertising, design, strategy and experience agency. ID Branding was acquired by Liquid Agency in early 2011.
- High level design and brand communication web applications for clients.
- Microsites for Nike, Trimet, and other regional clients.
Portland State University, September 2009-Jan 2010 (No Degree)
Pacific University, August 2004 – March 2006 (No Degree)
University of Oregon September 2002 – June 2004 (No Degree)
La Grande High School, Graduated 2002